As always with baseball, there are innumerable queries and opinions that come into view on how to play the game, alongside softball as well is no out of the league. Of late, countless numbers of answers have already been shared with the softball enthusiasts with regards to the game, but the method to break in a softball glove is still sitting at the back of the player’s mind.
Nevertheless, you may have come across a plethora of means and ways to break in a softball glove to fit in your hand for better fielding, but those techniques might be futile to fructify your requirement, and that has now compelled you to land on our webpage.
At times it seems unconventional to learn the fitting techniques of a softball glove when plenty of things are available feature-ready on the market. However, exceptionally for softball, players in America are so enthusiastic and keen to learn the game that they would cross all hurdles that would hinder them to play the sport.
If your story is similar as other softball beginners, then my counsel would facilitate you in softening your stiff and hard glove that you have picked to play in the softball league. Herein the ways to loosen and soften your new softball glove have been elucidated explicitly, which you should seek to increase your ability to hold the ball when it is coming your way.
Top 7 Ways to Break in Your Softball Glove:
- Practice catch session with your family or friends: It is probably the most effective way that you have been looking for, as this action is very helpful to make your glove soften. This initial practice session will not only modify the grip to catch the ball coming in your way, but also reduce the stiffness of the glove, making it convenient to fit in your hand.
- Squeeze your glove time and again: Let start squeezing and compressing your softball gloves to break its hardness and stiff fiber with which it is made. But, make sure you squeeze the glove when the ball enters the glove’s pocket to avoid bouncing off. Moreover, you can compress and press it over and over again when it is not in use and there is no ball inside it. The technique is helpful and has been used by many softball players.
- Ask a catcher to use your glove on the field: A softball catcher is experienced and is endowed with the basic know-how to hold and clasp a glove. With a softball practice session, the catcher will use your glove and make the right use of it when a ball comes in his way from a distant. The rough use will break apart the hardness of the material and prepare it for your customized use.
- Wrap your glove when not in use: Wrapping your glove using a rubber band or any hard elastic band putting the ball inside the glove will relax the texture of the product. Make sure you wrap it tight with the ball inside it. This ball in the glove will create a pocket inside the glove, making it easy for you to grip a ball while you are playing.
- Get a softball kit: You can find a variety of softball kits for the beginners, which you can take home to obtain all the accessories and softball gears associated with the game and further contains guideline and items that will help you to make your glove soften and loosen. Gloves band and tools to soften the product comes with this kit.
- Apply oil on your glove: Oiling your glove is one of the best methods to break in a softball glove. However, the regular oil will not serve your purpose, rather make use of a softball oil, which is easily available in the sports outlets. Start with oiling your palm and fingers to apply oil evenly throughout the glove in and out, and leave it for hours. After few hours, you can wipe off the oil and keep it aside until it dries. This will lubricate the product and make your glove work well with less hardness.
- Steam your glove: Steaming a sports gear may sound funny, but it really works to soften your glove. Here all you need to do is to put your softball glove on a perforated oven rack right above the container of boiling water, keeping the burner on from the bottom of the pot. You can choose to put a curve lid on top of the glove even in order to capture the evading steams. Leave the glove for a few minutes and then remove it from the steam. Dry it using a soft cloth and keep it in an airy space until it dries fully. Now you can find your gloves very soft, adjustable and flexible to use in the game.
Breaking a softball glove will demand your time and patience, but the love and devotion that players have for this sport will go to any length in ensuring the best possible result. Having tried these methods, many softball players have broken in their gloves and enjoying pitching grips. So, why not you play your own part to make your softball glove familiar and flexible to play the sport?